An alternative to residence in Cyprus is to apply for Cypriot Citizenship.

This is available to anyone who has lived in Cyprus for at least 7 years, so long as they meet certain requirements. A Cypriot passport is a European passport and will provide the holder with all the benefits of being an EU citizen. Whilst the procedure is relatively straight forward, the process typically takes around 2 years to be completed. For more information click here.

It can be submitted by foreign nationals, who have completed seven years of legal residence in the Republic prior to the date of application. In cases of aliens who are either parents or children of Cypriot citizens the time required is five years rather than seven.

In any case, the applicant must have resided legally and continuously in Cyprus during the twelve months preceding the date of the application.

Accompanying documents:

  • Birth certificate of the applicant
  • Certificate of clean criminal record of the applicant
  • Marriage certificate
  • Copies of all the pages of all the passports of the applicant showing his/her arrivals and departures in Cyprus
  • Detailed statement of arrivals and departures completed by the applicant
  • Copies of newspaper advertisements in two consecutive publications which report that the applicant has filed an application for naturalization
  • Two passport size photographs
  • Photocopy of receipt for the amount of 500 euros paid as fees

PLEASE NOTE that all public documents issued abroad must:

  • Bear an official translation into Greek or English from Press and Information Office.
  • Be certified with APOSTILLE if the country has signed the Hague Convention of 1961 or
  • Certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then by the Embassy/Consulate of Cyprus in his country or
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then the Embassy/Consulate of his country in Cyprus and then certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus.
  • In the instance that the country of origin of the applicant has not signed the Hague Convention of 1961 and there is no Embassy/Consulate in the above mentioned country the documents must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then the nearest Embassy/Consulate which is accredited to Cyprus.

You will need to complete form M127 – download here – and make an appointment at your local immigration office, this is the link to do so

Latest News

Police issue tips to prevent burglaries ahead of summer exodus

With the peak holiday season coming up, police on Saturday issued advice on how best to protect homes from burglaries. “During the summer period, many people may be away from their residence either for vacations or for a one-day trip, looking for some coolness on the...

The Brexit Ambassador

Outgoing British High Commissioner Stephen Lillie has served in Cyprus since 2018 and had to oversee the Brexit process. In a farewell interview with the Cyprus Mail he answers questions on bilateral relations and how Brexit has impacted the lives of British expats....

BHC Nicosia announces support of CRPG Help Desk

The Cyprus Residents Planning Group (CRPG) has launched a new campaign focused on providing longer-term support and information to vulnerable Britons living on the island. It follows a successful drive of recent years to support hundreds of UK Nationals in Cyprus to...

Help Desk

Do you need advice on matters relating to living, working or retiring in Cyprus?

Whether you already live on island or plan to move out to Cyprus, the Cyprus Residents Planning Group can help navigate you through the visa and residency permit procedures.